Saturday, September 25, 2010

Maybe Just Order Pizza Tonight.

Salmon With Mustard Sauce.  It sounds so innocent.  This was a strange one.  Let me first say that salmon might be the best thing on the whole damn planet.  Smoked, raw, sauteed, grilled, baked, whatever you do to it, I will devour me some salmon.  It is the most flavorful of fishes, all by itself, without any seasonings, but add a little salt and pepper and olive oil, and it is just heaven.  So it really doesn't need to be smothered in a sauce.  Let alone a 1400 calorie sauce.  1400 calories in this sauce.  For 1400 calories, it damn well better be made of chocolate and butter.

1 1/2 lbs salmon
2 tsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
parsley
4 hard boiled eggs

Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, and roast it in a 400 degree oven on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  Odd thing #1 :  it says to roast the salmon for 8 minutes.  In my experience, it always takes at least 20, so I left it in much longer than directed.  Then I started on the sauce.  Whisk the vinegar into the mustard, then whisk in half a cup of olive oil.  Odd thing #2:  Press the hard boiled eggs through a fine sieve into the mustard. 

Wait, what?  Press the hard-boiled eggs through a sieve?  Yes, it sounds strange, it was strange, and it tasted strange.  All I can figure is maybe they meant egg *yolks*.  That may have made a large difference.  I know that egg is an emulsifier for oil and vinegar-based sauces (namely mayonnaise), but I found this to be a weird request.  I whisked all this together and I tasted it.  And it was not so yummy.  I added more mustard and some salt and pepper to make it edible.  When we ate it on the salmon, it tasted okay, but that was largely the salmon pulling its own weight.  Without this sauce, the meal would have been healthy and delicious.

I served the salmon with sauteed asparagus and some white rice.  Very simple, and very tasty.

I had planned to make salmon and mushroom pot pies today for lunch, but I caved and had some fried chicken at the deli at Publix.  I had been to the gym, and to the retired horse farms to feed them carrots, and crashed for a couple hours when we got home.  So I'm hoping my puff pastry isn't going bad in the fridge, when it's suppose to be in the freezer.  We shall see.

I have been asked about nutritional information.  Rachael Ray does not have much in the way of nutrition facts on her website, but I'm told if you belong to Weight Watchers you can build a recipe on their site and have it calculate the info for you.  We have a scale that does it, which is pretty freakin' awesome.  You tell it what kind of food it is, then weigh it, and it gives you the nutritional information.  My husband got it for father's day.

Both my girls love white rice, and Audrey ate her share of asparagus and salmon too, without any sauce :)

Happy Cooking :)

1 comment:

  1. I love salmon and asparagus but it seems like a waste of 1,400 calories if it was just okay... I made a pretty good impromptu (and light) sauce for my salmon the other day with greek yogurt, fresh dill, lemon juice and garlic...

    Also, run.com has an option where you can build a meal and get the nutritional data for it. You can also track your meals and physical activity plus plan runs using google maps and it's all free :)

    ReplyDelete