Monday, April 18, 2011

Accidental Lemon Butter Chicken

My intent was to make chicken piccata, but I soon discovered I was out of capers so I decided to experiment slightly.  I seared some chicken cutlets in olive oil and set them aside, then added white wine instead of chicken broth to the hot pan, as well as some lemon juice and a little butter.  Whisk up the yummy goodness stuck to the bottom of the pan and allow the liquid to boil for a minute or two.  What you're going to end up with is a reduction, which is just what it sounds like:  you are allowing the liquid to reduce and evaporate so you end up with a thicker sauce and a concentrated flavor.  Some rosemary would be lovely in this as well.  When the sauce has reduced by half, add the chicken back in to cook through, then remove to a serving platter.  Taste your sauce and test the thickness.  If it's too thin, kick the heat up a little and boil it some more.  If it's too thin, add a little more wine, chicken broth, or even water.  For added richness try adding cream.  Season your sauce and pour it over the chicken.  You can serve this with couscous and sauteed carrots, or whatever you have on hand. 

I usually boil my carrots before seasoning, but I got the extra-small baby carrots this time and decided to try a straight sautee.  I halfed them lengthwise and threw them in a small pan for 10 - 15 minutes with a little olive oil, salt , and pepper and they were DEVOURED.  I may never boil carrots again.

Recently the box of wine I keep in the fridge for cooking has been emptied, but I have a lot of beer left over from when my in-laws visited so I figured, why not?  I've been using it instead of wine in all my sauces and it's just as delicious.  It may fizz a little when you first add it to the heat, but it should incorporate nicely after it cooks for a minute or two.

I have been spending all my time lately studying for Jeopardy.  I'm auditioning next Wednesday and I've been studying non stop and obsessing over what to wear.  It's fun :)  I haven't had an excuse to make flashcards in a long time.

Next up, two new party recipes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment